Great post all the way around.
I do not post on this part of the forum much anymore despite my strong interests in politics as I find it to be one big shouting contest. However, as someone who considers themselves pretty patriotic, informed, and caring about our political system I have to say that we are heading down a bad path. I can not believe how bad it has gotten, we have people that will not let their children listen to the president speak? Seriously folks, how dumb is this, at any point would your parents not allowed you to listen to your president? We have a president who feels that he needs to down previous regimes about an Iraq war during a speech to Congress, quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen Obama do to this point. A Congressmen shouting out that his president is a liar and many people feeling that is ok.
Both sides are to blame equally. Citizens do not want to listen to this bickering and deal with the increasing bureaucracy of our government. They simply just do not care, and it is increasingly evident with the voter turnout. Only about 30% of the country voted for Obama and he won the election in what was considered a modern day landslide. Things need to change and change soon, if not we are doomed. The similarities between our nation and previous world powers, most notably the Romans, are scary. Like them, we now hire modern day mercenaries to handle our dirty work in battle. Our state is lazier than it has ever been, fewer and fewer people work, they depend upon the government and fellow citizens who do work to take care of them. Increasingly we have less to work for, the government takes our money (those of us who work) and hand it out to those who choose not to work so they can live. Society is becoming passive, kids are taught not to resist, and if we further this into our government other nations will look at us as weak or passive. This could be most dangerous with terrorist organizations, do we want to appease these groups? Tomorrow is the anniversary of 9/11 and what has always amazed me is the fact that 3-4 Arab Men (generally speaking, Americans are much larger than Arabs) could over take a whole airplane with only pocket knifes. Why? Our nation and society has taught people to listen to demands and not fight back. The only people that fought back put the plane in the ground and saved God knows how many Americans. Does anybody really think the Japaneese could have put a commercial plane into a U.S. city in the 1940's with 3 hijackers and a pocket knife? I most certainly do not. As some would say around here we need to get our ducks in a row, and we need to do so in a hurry.
[img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]
Great post all the way around.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Very good post. Excellent points all around.
The only thing that gives me hope is that historically we have been in really bad shape a few other times and pulled out of it. Only hope we can again, not too confident though.
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
Bookmarks